365 Days of Chicago

"Welcome to my blog. This blog is an attempt to live life to its fullest by capturing the essence of day-to-day life in words and pictures. I am trying to post a picture a day of Windy City, Chicago and write about books, ideas, art, and everything else I feel interesting!"

Thursday, March 31, 2011

Day 155: Dragon Fruit

When you look at the fruit, you will certainly know the name without looking at the name tag in the fruit store. This fiercely red Dragon fruit is a fruit from a cactus species. Today was the first time that I tasted this amazing fruit. If you like Kiwi fruits, then you will love this fruit too. This post sounds like a e-how article rather than picture of the day, but for people who might not have tasted this fruit, I wanted to share my love for it with people with adventurous palate. Check this article on how to cut and eat this boisterous fruit here. The fruit is sweet with a tinge of saltiness and the edible seeds add a subtle flavor to the taste. I am surprised at the sweetness of the fruit, especially given the conditions the cactus grows. Here is the picture of the day which reminds us of sweetness in bitter times:


7 comments:

  1. Well, it certainly looks like a cake of UPMA (with it aavalu & jeelakarra) cut into straight pieces n served in a strange looking "Fruit Shaped" bowl..

    BY KALYANI

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, where in Chicago did you find one? I've been looking for awhile...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you found this fruit please let me know the address. I live in Chicago. rekardo.91@mail.ru Thank you

      Delete
  3. Hi Mike,

    I got it in Fresh Farms, in Niles, IL. But it is far from downtown Chicago.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I tried at Whole Foods in Willowbrook yesterday, and they said they had never heard of it. Just talked with the produce dept. at Whole Foods in Palatine, and he says they get it whenever they can because it's a good seller.
    Neither Mitsuwa Market (A.Hts) or Joe Caputos (Pal.) have it. I had it in Singapore and Indonesia and can not wait to introduce it to the grandkids.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i once bought about 12 of these in a Fairplay near Western Ave and Cermak Rd. in Chicago. They have not had these in a while, sadly.

    ReplyDelete