365 Days of Chicago

"Welcome to my blog. This blog is an attempt to live life to its fullest by capturing the essence of day-to-day life in words and pictures. I am trying to post a picture a day of Windy City, Chicago and write about books, ideas, art, and everything else I feel interesting!"

Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Day 70 : Father Christmas of Germany

I learnt something new this year that different countries have different Santas or Father Christmas as they call him. I decided that this week would be the theme of Father Christmas. I was surprised to see so many different Santas and the diverse culture of celebrating Christmas. I guess I was ignorant of the worldwide culture.


Kris Kringle is the Father Christmas of Germany. On December 5, the German holiday season begins as Kris Kringle delivers candy and other sweets to be opened on December 6. A window is often left open so that he can enter the house. A pastry called Christbaumgeback is molded into shapes and baked for tree decorations. I love the candy cane decorated Christmas tree that Kris Kringle is carrying. I also love the sleeves that were lined with red satin. Here is the picture of the day:
'Kris Kringle'
Sources: Navy Pier Winter Wonderfest 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment