365 Days of Chicago

"Welcome to my blog. This blog is an attempt to live life to its fullest by capturing the essence of day-to-day life in words and pictures. I am trying to post a picture a day of Windy City, Chicago and write about books, ideas, art, and everything else I feel interesting!"

Friday, January 7, 2011

Day 72 : Father Christmas of Ireland

Father Christmas of Ireland became my favorite as soon as I saw him. His long red cloak with colorful bag of Christmas gifts, his crown of stars and grass made him a Rockstar of Santas for me. Here is the picture of the day:

Christmas in Ireland lasts from Christmas Eve until the feast of the Epiphany on January 6,  which is also referred to as little Christmas. Ireland’s holiday celebration is more religious in nature than a time of fun. 

Children honor Father Christmas on December 26 as they parade through the streets donned in extravagant dress straw. Known as the Wren Boy’s Procession, the children go door to door singing for money for the captured wren.

No comments:

Post a Comment