365 Days of Chicago

"Welcome to my blog. This blog is an attempt to live life to its fullest by capturing the essence of day-to-day life in words and pictures. I am trying to post a picture a day of Windy City, Chicago and write about books, ideas, art, and everything else I feel interesting!"

Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Day 22 : Back to the Roots

The willow tree has always inspired me. The tree stands tall, sways its slender branches like a heart-broken girl waiting for her lover on top of the hill, and looks as beautiful as a master sculpture. The willow tree had influenced literature a great deal and I can never forget this story of "The Weeping Willow," where two lovers are hunted by their powerful elders and the girl drowns in a lake and the guy turns into a Willow tree shading the place where she died. I read it as a kid and it hit me hard in the heart. I tried finding the story to read it again, but I could not. The willow trees look more beautiful in the autumn, when they turn yellow and sway just as beautiful. They look even more beautiful in November because all the other trees would have already become leafless and this tree would stand there, glorious with all its leaves intact. But today I discovered that its roots are glorious too. It has extensive root system and the roots search franticly for water and can even clog pipes and drainage systems underground. So here is the picture of the day:
'Back to the Roots'

1 comment: